It’s one of the best-kept, most tragic secret in the library world: databases. It’s not that we’re keeping secrets–it’s just hard to get the word out! So please, help us spread the word about these amazing information sources. A database is a service the library subscribes to for patrons, much like downloadable audiobooks. It’s online information that you can depend on for credibility: recent, thoroughly researched information. And with your library card and an internet connection, you can access this treasure trove 24/7 from home.
Some examples: Consumer Reports, homework help of all kinds, genealogical research, and so much more. But we just got two new databases that I’d like to highlight today: PowerSpeak and Learning Express.
PowerSpeak is language-learning software. You can learn Spanish, French, Mandarin, German, or ESL Spanish in a fun, multi-media, interactive method.
Learning Express is about test preparation.
- There are learning centers for all students: elementary, middle school, high school, college prep (SAT, GRE, etc.), and college students.
- There’s preparation for GED and U.S. citizenship.
- Job search assistance, resume preparation, interviewing skills.
- Test prep for every job imaginable, from the military, to cosmetology, to nursing.
- There’s help for adults who want to brush up on writing, reading, or math skills.
- PLUS Recursos para Hispanohablantes!
These resources are so cool. And to make them worth the money we pay, they MUST get used! Just think of all the people out there looking for work, or stressing over the SAT test, or not knowing they can get help getting their GED. Help us shout out to these folks! Brag on your library, please.